Curling up with some coffee and lighting candles is one of my favorite things to do this time of the year.
When I worked at Cost Plus: World Market, I used to be so tempted to buy just about every new candles that came out. They all smelled SO amazing. In college, there were nights when I had up to 12 candles lit up in my room at the same time.
I had a bit of a candle obsession.
Recently, with the business doing well and researching all hours of the day, I started looking into how I could make my own candles for our home. I figured it would be one less expense, and maybe they would make good gifts.
Boy, when I found out what goes into making MOST candles, it made me feel so betrayed.
So what is in most candles that is so bad?
You may or may not know a whole lot about the ingredients that are used when making the candles we all love so much, but unfortunately, they are not always of good quality.
Why you should NEVER buy paraffin wax candles again.
One of the most common ways to make candles, and the cheapest way, is to use paraffin wax. Paraffin starts off as a toxic grey goop, that is bleached till it turns white. It is then doused in fragrance to make candles. I found an article on Welnessmama.com that talked about Paraffin candles, and this quote below is from that blog:
“Paraffin is a petroleum waste product and has to be deodorized and chemically bleached before it can be made in to wax.” -Wellnessmama.com
The problem with Paraffin wax candles is that the fumes emit carcinogen’s into the air. A study from BBC news found that constantly burning Paraffin wax can lead to Asthma and even lung cancer. The amount of toxic chemicals found in Paraffin candles is comparable to sucking fumes from a diesel engine.
Doesn’t it make you want to read the ingredient label like you would a food product?
It sure makes me want to.
Soy candles, (which are bio-degradable while Paraffin is most certainly not) are definitely better than Paraffin candles. BUT, depending on the company that makes them, a trace amount of Paraffin is still used to make most Soy candles. So harmful chemicals are still emitted into the air, just not as much.
Why you need to be using Beeswax as your candle alternative.
Beeswax candles are Non-Toxic (Unlike other types of candles), and actually help to Purify the air instead of Polluting it. Beeswax also has a honey-like smell all by itself, so when you add essential oils to it, it takes on the oils smell while retaining its honey-like aroma as well. I make our handmade Beeswax candles in small batches, with the best holistic ingredients around. For the Spring Season we have some great scents, and they each have their own an amazing aroma.
How Beeswax is Purifying the Air vs. Polluting it
Like we said earlier, Paraffin candles are full of Carcinogens , pollutants that put toxins into the air. The term “Carcinogen” means “a substance capable of causing cancer in living tissue.” according to the Google dictionary. Just to make the Paraffin before making into candles takes a long process of BLEACHING the “wax” and deodorizing it, because it is classified as a byproduct of petroleum and the oil that is turned into gasoline.
When making Beeswax candles, Beeswax is melted down and poured into molds or jars to make candles. Its a much simpler process. Beeswax candles also create negative ions, and help get rid off allergens, pollutants, and positive ions created from electronics. Beeswax is made of the same substance that Honey Bees use to make their honeycombs, which makes Beeswax is a renewable resource, and like Soy wax is bio-degradable.
Purifying the Air
Like Himalayan Pink Salt lamp’s,burning Beeswax releases negative ions into the air. Things like electronics, (TV’s, cell phones, tablets, routers, etc…) florescent lighting, and industrial zones create positive ions. Positive ions can cause emotional harm, feelings of stress and depression, and anxiety.
This is called Positive Ion Poisoning.
There are ways to help counteract the positive ions in your home by having things that create Negative Ions.
Things that create Negative Ions:
- Burning Beeswax
- Using Himalayan Pink Salt Lamps
- Running Water, use an indoor Water fountain.
- Have house plants
- Earthing. Walking barefoot outside will help generate negative ions and make you feel more positive.
Be mindful of what heals you.
Hey guys, I hope this post has been helpful to you on your journey today. Take this information and use it to better yourself, and your daily life. Be aware of what things in your life are bettering your health, and know the ingredients in everything you use.
Have a healthy day!
Loved this article? Read this next: Cleaning tips for a NON-toxic home