How to become a minimalist
Hey everyone! I want to start off this brand new year with some good habits, and healthy practices, and that means CLEANING. Minimalism is something that I have found intriguing for a long time, and I want to start putting into practice. To get you and I started, lets look at 50 New Years resolutions for minimalism in 2020.
(This page probably contains affiliate links, if you want to read more about that check out our disclaimer page)
Tidying up, resolutions
- Get rid of one thing everyday that either does not have purpose, or does not bring you joy.
- Empty your purse/satchel/handbag.
- Throw away any socks that no longer have a match.
- Give away books and movies you no longer like/read/watch.
- Recycle Tupperware that no longer have lids.
- Clean out your garage.
- Toss any expired/no longer in use hair and body care products.
- Do a closet purge! Get rid of any clothes you haven’t worn in a year.
- De-clutter one corner of your home every week.
- Empty out your junk drawer.
Mental Minimalism, resolutions
- Start a daily thought journal.
- Tidy up your priorities, don’t take on more than you can handle.
- Say “no” more often.
- Establish your boundaries, and decide what you allow in your life.
- Turn off your notifications.
- Try grounding.
- Do a technology/social media fast.
- Spend 20 minutes a day outdoors.
- Start a daily/weekly yoga practice
Simple Money, resolutions
- Don’t spend money for 24 hrs.
- Schedule a “no-buy” month.
- Create an stick to a budget.
- Pay off one debt.
- Start a side hustle.
- Pick an amount, and throw that into savings every paycheck.
- Plan out minimalistic meals, buy groceries accordingly.
- Cancel a subscription.
- Find a financial adviser.
Recycling & Reusing, resolutions
- Thrift your clothes when you are done with them, and when you need new ones.
- Find a new way to use something in your home.
- Buy reusable instead of disposable items (feminine care, kitchen cleaning products, diapers)
- Buy a reusable coffee mug and take it to buy coffee/tea when you are out.
- Purchase biodegradable items when possible.
- Start using metal straws instead of plastic.
- Take totes to the grocery store (some places, like Sprouts, will pay you a nickel if you bring your own bags)
- Reuse glass jars for drinking, planting or to store foods.
- De-clutter your makeup, recycle anything you don’t use anymore.
- Grow your own food! Start a mini garden, buy less groceries.
Minimalism Self-Improvement Resolutions
- Take a class to learn something new
- Use a self improvement guide (30 Day’s to Inner Peace is ours! Find it here.)
- Make a list of things you don’t need, and donate/get rid of them.
- Make a list of attitudes you don’t need, and work on eliminating them.
- Start waking up early and meditate.
- Clear your mental space with exercise.
- Quit a bad habit.
- Take a tech break, really enjoy time without screens.
- Find a free hobby that improves your mental health.
- Write down your goals for the year and put them somewhere you can see them.
Try incorporating some of these new years resolutions for minimalism in your daily life! Overtime, these can help with self-improvement, increased self-worth, and overall mental clarity.